Throughout India, the Holy Basil, or Tulsi is considered “The Queen Of Herbs” and is revered as a sacred plant infused with healing power. Traditionally grown in an earthen pot in every family home or garden, Tulsi’s remarkable life-enhancing qualities, noted repeatedly in ancient Ayurvedic scriptures dating back 5,000 years are now here for you to fully enjoy.
As a testament to the plant’s curative powers, to this very day, it is widely regarded as one of the preeminent herbs and is classified as a Rasayana—an elite class of adaptogenic herbs prized for their ability to fundamentally restore balance and harmony in the mind, body, and spirit. Numerous health researchers have taken an interest in Holy Basil, making it one of the rare herbs that have substantial science backing up its borderline miraculous healing properties. The benefits of this wondrous herb are as follows but are not limited to:
1. Curing Fever - The miraculous healing properties of holy basil come mainly from its essential oils and the phytonutrients in it. Holy basil is an excellent antibiotic, germicidal, fungicidal, and disinfectant agent and very effectively protects our body from all sorts of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
2. Curing Respiratory Disorders - Tulsi, along with curing viral, bacterial, and fungal infections of the respiratory system, gives miraculous relief from congestion due to the presence of components like camphene, eugenol, and cineole in its essential oils. It is very effective in curing almost all respiratory disorders including bronchitis, both chronic and acute.
3. Treating Asthma - Tulsi is very beneficial in the treatment of asthma since it relieves congestion and facilitates smoother breathing. The phytonutrients and essential oils, along with the other minerals in it, help cure some of the underlying causes of asthma as well.
4. Preventing Lung Disorders -The compounds like vitamin C, camphene, eugenol, and cineole present in the essential oils of tulsi not only cure the infections in the lungs but also cure the congestion in them. Furthermore, they are found to be effective in healing the damages caused to the lungs due to smoking etc.
5. Preventing Heart Diseases - Holy basil contains vitamin C and other antioxidants such as eugenol, which protect the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals. Additionally, eugenol is very beneficial in reducing the cholesterol levels in the blood.
6. Reducing Stress - Vitamin C and other antioxidants in holy basil, apart from repairing damages done by free radicals, also minimize the stress caused by these oxidants. A study published in the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine says that Tulsi soothes the nerves, lowers blood pressure, reduces inflammation, and thus reduces stress. Potassium, in Tulsi, also reduces blood pressure-related stress by replacing sodium and loosening the tensed blood vessels.
7. Mouth Freshener - Tulsi is an excellent mouth freshener and an oral disinfectant and its freshness last for a very long time. Holy basil destroys more than 99% of germs and bacteria in the mouth and this effect can last all day. It also cures ulcers in the mouth.
8. Chemopreventive Properties - Furthermore, it may inhibit the growth of various cancers including oral cancer due to the presence of phytochemicals like eugenol, according to a research cited in the Nutrition and Cancer journal. Other studies also support that it may have anticancer potential.
9. Dental Care - Holy basil destroys the bacteria that are responsible for dental cavities, plaque, tartar, and bad breath, while also protecting the teeth. It also has astringent properties which make the gums hold the teeth tighter, thereby keeping them from falling. However, tulsi also has certain compounds like mercury, which has rich germicidal properties that can be harmful to the teeth if kept in direct contact for too long. Therefore, it is advised to avoid chewing these leaves for a long while.
10. Preventing Kidney Stones - Tulsi, being a detoxifier and a mild diuretic, helps to reduce the uric acid level in the body, which is the main culprit as far as kidney stones are concerned. It also helps clean out the kidneys through increased frequency of urination. Acetic acid and certain components in Tulsi essential oil facilitate dissolution of the stones. Finally, it has pain-killer effects and helps bear the pain from kidney stones as they pass.
With one herb being a simple cure and aid to such a vast array of ailments, it’s no wonder that the Holy Basil has been dubbed the Queen of Herbs, and rightly so!